Meditation for Beginners: Start With One Minute
It only takes one minute per day. Here’s how to get started
Meditation is a practice that has been around for thousands of years. It’s the act of sitting silently, focusing on your breath, and calming your mind. You can meditate however you want-by listening to music or reading a book, for example-but mindfulness meditation is the most effective way to change how you feel by helping you focus on what’s happening in the present moment.
Just One Minute a Day
Meditation has been proven to help reduce stress levels, improve sleep quality, lower blood pressure and even make you more creative-a skill that will be invaluable during your next meeting! The best thing about it? It only takes one minute per day. Here’s how to get started:
- Find a spot in your house (or outside, if you like) where you can sit down and relax.
- Sit up with your spine straight and close your eyes. You don’t have to sit cross-legged on the floor if that doesn’t feel comfortable for you.
- Now, focus your attention on your breath. Feel the air as it moves in and out of your lungs.
- If you find yourself thinking about something else, don’t get mad at yourself. Just bring your mind back to focusing on how you feel when you breathe in and out.
- Keep it up for one minute or more.
- Repeat this process daily for a more relaxed, creative, and stress-free life!
Okay, I lied. It took you two minutes the first time. One minute to read the article and another minute to meditate. All jokes aside, daily meditation is a practice that yields huge benefits for the mind, body, and spirit.